Sunday, January 28, 2007



One app I should really use more often is Mindjet MindManager (http://www.mindjet.com/us/). I never got into mapping my ideas, preferring outline form instead, but I need to make an attempt to turn that around.

Here's the back story: the better half and I attended a home buying seminar today. Naturally, I brought my tablet to write notes. As usual, I popped open Windows Journal and determined whether landscape or portrait would work better in the setting. But then I figured I'd be jotting a lot of short points and linking them to subjects for context. Outlining would be too clumsy; I had to map it.

I split the duties between the apps, writing notes in MindManager and action items in Journal. MM provides a relatively short inking space for map items, forcing me to stick to the points, split out overlaps, link properly to keep the points in context, and keep pace with the speakers. My extended thoughts were all actionable items scribed into Journal. In case you couldn't tell, I am quite pleased with the results.

In reflecting on it, I understand now why mapping didn't really grab me before. I need to write when the inspiration strikes me, and often I get struck during the planning stage. In typing an outline, it was easy to load it with material when it came to me, but that doesn't quite work with a map of necessarily brief points. But after today's experiment, I realize I can take advantage of the open flow of a map and still flesh out points as the content comes to me. Seems like the sort of thing I'd have realized before now, but I guess I just didn't have a need before today's event.



CateGoogles: Tablet_PC
general_tech
Mood = excited

Labels: ,

Note Mapping Rocks!


4 Comments:

  1. Eh, I dunno, I found MindMapper a bit unwieldy to use for my tastes. TO each their own then. And are you looking forward to buying a home?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/28/2007 02:08:00 PM
     

  2. Timbo,
    I would love to hear your thoughts about why MindManager didn't work for you.
    Michael S. Scherotter
    Mindjet Labs

    By Blogger Michael S. Scherotter, at 1/28/2007 05:36:00 PM
     

  3. I agree, MM isn't as user friendly as other programs. Personally, I use NovaMind and am very happy with it, and recommend it to all my friends.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/28/2007 08:14:00 PM
     

  4. Timbo,
    I think I know where you're coming from. MM moves at a rather deliberate pace when adding content, at least in pen mode, and slows down as the map gets bigger. Compared to apps like Windows Journal, it is resource-intensive. I did find it a bit too powerful to use regularly on my old first-gen tablet (I believe I blogged that point before), but I have no such issue with my new one, even with the processor stepped down for power-saving as I did during the seminar. And yes, I am looking forward to buying and/or building in the coming year, though we are still researching options.

    Michael,
    Thanks for visiting. MM is a great app. I know I'm not making optimal use of it yet, but I'm working on it.

    Andy,
    NovaMind looks like a fine product, except it does not seem to have built-in support for pen and ink. I do see directions for using Inkwell with it (oddly, this is in the Windows documentation), but without gestures and direct ink, NovaMind would be a step down for me.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 1/29/2007 08:32:00 AM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive