Friday, January 26, 2007



In this case, that one is me. That research job (http://sumocat.blogspot.com/2007/01/busy-week-into-weekend.html) I was doing was working out quite well until I got hammered by the the requirement of socializing on the phone. Oh yes, you read that correctly. Research required not just calling vendors for info, but making small talk and "not going straight to the point." Sounds simple, but I'm hardly a social chameleon and I don't like phones (http://sumocat.blogspot.com/2006/08/getting-mobile-phone.html). I can handle social settings or talking on the phone, but not at the same time, and definitely not when I'm still learning the business.

Short story: I got blindsided by a dip in the deep end of the pool with an arrow through my heel. Didn't like it. Not doing it again.



CateGoogles: aimless_musing
Mood = blaise

Labels: ,

Another one bites the dust


4 Comments:

  1. What is it you don't like about socializing?

    Timbo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/26/2007 05:24:00 PM
     

  2. It's not socializing I dislike; it's phones. I tolerate phones because they are necessary for modern existence, but I'm not the type to chat on the phone.

    As for socializing, I just don't have an outgoing personality. I don't hate it, but I'm not good at it. Actually, I'm not bad in person, not good but passable. But on the phone? That's a whole different animal.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 1/26/2007 05:50:00 PM
     

  3. 1st: Thanks. I'm new to Tablet PCs and your blog has helped me in purchasing & using one, especially the videos.
    2nd: For some people socializing on the phone feels natural. For others, it is a skill that can be learned. As your recent experience shows, it's a skill that expands professional options and earning power for the rest of a person's life. There might be some continuing-ed courses in your area. If learning on your own doesn't work, try a counselor. You CAN learn this skill.
    3rd: Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
    P.S. Given that socializing in person is okay for you, maybe you can trick yourself by closing your eyes & picturing talking in person - even if the face is made up!
    .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/27/2007 10:47:00 AM
     

  4. Glad to be of help new reader, and thanks for your finely-crafted feedback. But to clarify, I know I could learn to be better on the phone, but I have no interest in it.

    Verbally, my talent lies with being concise and efficient. I communicate ideas effectively without dross. I tailor my language to better reach my audience. For this, I have earned praise as a teacher, a copywriter, and a leader. Contrived small talk (as opposed to interest-driven chat) is empty, wasteful talk. As such, it is antithetical to my nature. Thus, my issue with hollow socializing on the phone is one with which I am quite content.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 1/27/2007 10:09:00 PM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive