Monday, November 19, 2007



I've argued consistently that the secret to the iPod's success is that it's an extension of iTunes. Until a company gets serious about an iTunes competitor, I see little danger to the iPod's dominance. Similarly, I haven't seen any electronic book readers to get excited about, until I realized that Amazon's Kindle (http://www.newsweek.com/id/70983/) functions like an extension of Amazon.com.

Amazon's new ebook reader has been flooding the Internets today, and I admit, I wasn't that impressed. Its fairly ugly and not open to all content, tied instead to Amazon's DRM format.

However, it has anywhere-access to content via EVDO. Basically, you can buy books and periodicals anywhere, directly from the device. That's a major step forward for ebook readers. Furthermore, it does so from the top name in online book buying.

The Kindle, I believe, will act as an extension of Amazon. Instead of buying physical books from Amazon and getting them in a couple days, users can buy ebooks instead and get them in minutes. If Amazon can transition their customers to the Kindle, and I think they can, it could be quite a success.



CateGoogles: mobile_tech
Mood = curious

Labels:

Why Amazon's Kindle should succeed


2 Comments:

  1. Very nice article. First one I've seen that is favorable toward the Kindle. People still buy ipods even though their phone plays mp3. So I think people will buy this even though they might have something else that lets them read books

    By Blogger James A. Morman, at 11/19/2007 07:54:00 PM
     

  2. Hey James, I just left a comment on your blog re: Build 52 (and how to make it work). Great timing, huh?

    Yeah, the analyses of Kindle have been less than glowing so far, but I think those tunes will change once it gets in the hands of its target audience (ie, people who are not gadget lovers).

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 11/19/2007 08:01:00 PM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive