Wednesday, August 15, 2007



I mentioned previously that Hugo Ortega (http://sumocat.blogspot.com/2007/08/gizmodo-doesnt-know-umpcs.html) recorded an excellent video for GottaBeMobile.com (http://www.gottabemobile.com/TheHTCShift.aspx) on the HTC Shift (http://www.gottabemobile.com/TheHTCShift.aspx). What I had not yet mentioned was how impressive this device is.

Finally, the ability to toggle (instantly) between Windows Mobile with instant-on and long battery life and Windows Vista with full computing power in one device. And such a slick looking one at that. Smooth edges, smart arrangement of components, well-balanced, and a keyboard design that will placate the UMPC critics.

And for me, the killer feature is synchronization between the operating systems using Windows Vista's Sideshow (http://sumocat.blogspot.com/2006/10/umpcs-and-vista-sideshow.html) functionality, as described by Hugo. I knew that would be the key to making this work, and I'm thrilled that HTC got this done. As news of this bad boy gets out, it's going to open a lot of eyes and shake up the market. Here's hoping more dual-boot devices are on the way.



CateGoogles: mobile_tech
Mood = excited

Labels:

The HTC Shift is the UMPC to beat


4 Comments:

  1. I just have a problem with the price. Sure it can do alot of things, but a price tag of $1400-$1500???

    I don't understand this UMPC field. I thought we are trying to get the prices down?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/16/2007 12:44:00 PM
     

  2. Lower prices are always nice, but I've never been thoroughly impressed with the UMPC form factor. Lack of instant-on and low battery life have been the big flaws for me. I've felt these points should have priority over price. With the Shift on the way, I think now we can focus on better pricing. But bottom line: price doesn't matter if the device can't deliver what you need, and I feel the HTC Shift is the first UMPC that really delivers.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 8/16/2007 01:02:00 PM
     

  3. I was thrilled to death when I first read about it. I was even moved to write a post about how this device might even make me give VIA another chance. A couple of days later, I learned about the 800 MHz processor speed. I don't have to have much, but for me to shell out dough, it's got to be better than the 900MHz of my current UMPC.

    This device is still exciting. The Shift is far from useless; I just want more. Like the iPhone, I look at it as something I won't have, but something that will inspire others to follow and build upon its example, resulting in a machine that will have specifications that I can accept. Perhaps even HTC will beef it up one day soon; I am delighted with my HTC WM5 phone and would be happy to carry an HTC UMPC, as long as I don't have to accept a downgrade.

    By Blogger MiniMage, at 8/20/2007 12:37:00 AM
     

  4. Hey mini, you know clock speed doesn't necessarily equal processing speed. I'll wait on the benchmarks to determine if it's really a step down and, if so, by how much. Still, my old tablet runs at 833MHz on a P3. Slow but functional.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 8/22/2007 08:03:00 PM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive