Sunday, February 25, 2007



One great advantage of mobile and portable computers is the built-in power supply. The power in the apartment has been dropping off and on this morning, presumably due in some way to the snowfall, but I've been inking away uninterrupted thanks to my tablet's on-board battery. It's great to not be tied to the grid in this small way, but ultimately my battery-stored power still relies on the grid. As these outages demonstrate, absolute reliance on the grid is less than ideal.

As the wife and I narrow our search for a house, I am mindful of ways to supplement our energy supply with solar and wind sources. Unless we wrangle a good chunk of land, there's no way we can go entirely green. But I wouldn't mind using that hot summer sun to cool down the house or using that snowy bluster to keep me warm... and online.



CateGoogles: aimless_musing
Mood = pleasant

Labels:

Looking forward to green energy


2 Comments:

  1. Nice to see you focusing on a more eco-responsible lifestyle Sumocat. Maintaining a love for gadgets while keeping green is tough to achieve. I wish you every success

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/25/2007 01:37:00 PM
     

  2. Actually, the two goals are quite complimentary since my love of gadgets is mobile-centric. Energy efficiency and self-sufficiency are high priorities for mobile computing, just as they are for green living. My gadgets are small and mobile, not big and power-hungry, like game consoles and home theatre system (I'm not philosophically against such things, but they are outside of my focus). I'm also big on digital documents and note-taking, which cuts my paper consumption.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 2/25/2007 02:14:00 PM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive