Saturday, July 29, 2006


[+/-] show/hide text
It occurs to me that I now know more people online by their real names than by screen names. Just a few years back, the opposite was true. Am I simply hanging with a more mature crowd or is it because the medium is changing?

Back when large-scale interaction was done primarily on message boards, screen names and iconic avatars were abundant. But now, anyone can put their own photo on the web and build personal forums for their thoughts. Even when they go by a screen name, it is common to also share one's real name (at least the first one).

I would seem to be a throwback as I still regularly use a pseudonym. But Sumocat isn't just a screen name; it's my real world nickname since 8th grade.

Back in high school, only my good friends called me Sumocat; everyone else used my real name. Now, online, the opposite is true. Regardless, I've grown somewhat comfortable with the paradigm shift, although I still find it wierd that people who know me by my nickname ask if they can call me "Mark".

Screen Name vs. Nickname vs. Real Name


2 Comments:

  1. I used to go by Apokalips XIII. It was just a name I made up because I thought having a cool "end of the world" sounding name would get my code alot of eyeballs.

    Once I started Einstein Technologies I realized that my last name carried alot more weight and had a better connotation than Apokalips. So i guess you can say I matured. But first... pull my finger.. PTTTTTTTHHHHHHTTTT haha guess I haven't matured that much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/30/2006 01:22:00 PM
     

  2. Since I fear being blogfired, I use a pseudonym for my net activities and rarely reveal my location. A little research can identify me pretty quickly, and members of my management know about my blogs, but if worse came to worse, I think I could argue that I shielded my employer pretty well. My first name is far too unique to suffice.

    By Blogger The Miniature Mage, at 7/31/2006 12:47:00 AM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive