Wednesday, May 03, 2006

With the Samsung Q1 on the way, the comparisons to Tablet PCs and PDAs has been endless. Invariably, the "instant-on" capability of PDAs comes up as a wish list item or point of superiority. Unfortunately, this is an inaccurate descriptor. PDAs are not instant-on; they are always-on.

Just a few years ago, the lack of persistent memory plagued mobile professionals. If their device lost power, their data was lost. The introduction of flash memory fixed this, but the devices remain always-on. Even when a Pocket PC is "off"; it remains active. Whether in its cradle or in my pack, my iPAQ will sound my wake-up alarm or alert me of reminder items. Unless it somehow turns itself on while off, I must assume it is always on, which means turning it on "instantly" is a false term.

For an Origami/UMPC/ultramob or Tablet PC to share this feature, it would likewise need to be always-on. Standby is insufficient, no matter how quick, since they cannot revive from this state on its own. Only a dual boot device, such as the DualCor cPC, can provide this service and I look forward to the day when such advanced always-on devices arrive.

Instant-on vs. Always-on


4 Comments:

  1. Hey Sumocat. PC's are capable of this too. It's how the PC knows to wake up and go into standby when the battery gets to a certain level or wake up to run a scheduled task. It's just not as popular on the PC because well... most people don't leave their machines on standby waiting for something to happen. But there are API's to schedule events that will wake up a PC from standby.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2006 01:26:00 PM
     

  2. Duh I meant "it's how the PC knows to wake up and go into hibernate".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2006 01:26:00 PM
     

  3. Really? I figured the hibernation was a system thing, but I guess it is just software. So is there a way to do this in Outlook or will I have to go to "Schedule Tasks" in order for my Tablet to notify me of my upcoming events? If Outlook could do this, it would make for a great add-on to the Origami/UMPC/ultramob.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 5/03/2006 06:14:00 PM
     

  4. Sounds like a feature request. :)

    I'll look into it after I get TEO 3 out the door. I now officially have 3 projects going and soon possibly 2 more. I'm so burnt out!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/03/2006 08:29:00 PM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive