Monday, April 24, 2006

No, I'm not stepping into the podcast realm with the MoTR boys. But having spent a week out and about, I thought if might be useful to look at my mobile tech usage during my vacation.

Most used was my Casio S500 digital camera. Snapped far more pics than the few on my vacation blahg. Wonderfully clear shots given my usually unsteady hand. Battery handled most days easily, but the trip to the zoo was too much - made it through four of the five hours with lot of zooming and video clips.

Next up is my iPAQ Pocket PC. My beautiful wife put together a rich itinerary for us, which I loaded on my PPC. This kept me on track and in the right direction, except for those messed up roads in Pennsylvania.

Aside from the car, that was it for my mobile tech usage during the outings. I marked up my photos on my tablet after I got home, but I didn't see a need to bring it with me. Even my PPC got minimal use and I don't see anything wrong with that. Some bloggers have questioned the mobility of the Tablet PC, noting that few users take theirs everywhere. Well, why would I take it everywhere? I take it anywhere I think I might need it, but that's not everywhere. It was quite handy during my trip to Japan, but those circumstances did not exist during my mom's visit. Thus, my tablet played a supporting role, not a key one.

One piece of mobile tech that I could have used is GPS. Maps and directions worked well enough, but position awareness would have been great. Wish I could rent one for vacations.

My Mobile Tech Roundup


2 Comments:

  1. Thanks,
    One comment. You mentioned that you wished you had the use of a GPS. I found a great deal on a system that I am very impressed with. Microsoft had a deal on MS Streets & Trips 2006 that included a MS branded Pharos USB GPS for about $75. I use it almost every day in my work and various trips that I take. It rocks! Voice directions and all on my Motion LE-1600 TabletPC.
    At that price, it's almost free given the usefullness it offers.
    Dana

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/26/2006 11:06:00 AM
     

  2. Yeah, I think I'll have to plunk down a few bucks to get one. I haven't seen it locally for $75 though. $99 at Costco is the lowest, but I haven't searched online yet. Thanks.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 4/29/2006 12:45:00 PM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive