Tuesday, October 03, 2006


Inexplicably, the conversation started yesterday on the topic of emotional attachment to paper (http://tinyurl.com/o4j3t) has reformed into a discussion about "the cloud", (http://www.gottabemobile.com/MoreAboutThoseEmotionalAttachments.aspx)that amorphous collection of servers that stores data for anywhere-access. Warner, no doubt sensing a lively conversation, has decided to run with it and asks for thoughts on mobile device usage and how it impacts our view of "the cloud'?

Personally, I don't see the point of migrating to "the cloud" when I can carry all my data with me. The great promise of "the cloud" is access to your data anytime, anywhere. Well, I already have that without the limitations of Internet access, download speeds, and traffic slowdowns. In that respect, I don't understand why some Tablet PC users are so excited about "the cloud". Seems more restricting than liberating.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely do see the benefits "the cloud" offers to most computer users. Anyone using stationary PCs at multiple locations could make use of "the cloud". In fact, anyone with multiple devices, mobile or fixed, can take advantage of anywhere access. I already enjoy this with my email. It is also a reasonable option for organization that can secure their network access, but not their laptops. And in situations when multiple users in different locations must share data, "the cloud" may be the only reasonable solution. "The cloud" definitely has its uses.

But getting back to me, I think "the cloud" is great and I look forward to making use of it as it develops. But that's still many years away and even then I'll likely be a seasonal visitor not a full-time resident.


Shoutback: GottaBeMobile.com - More About Those Emotional Attachments
CateGoogles: Tablet_PC
mobile_tech
Mood = unimpressed

Head in the Cloud


0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home




    Archive