Tuesday, September 05, 2006


As time drags on, I'm looking more and more seriously at upgrading to a new tablet from my aging little first gen Scribbler. As much as I'd like to get a new Scribbler, like the SC3100 (http://www.electrovaya.com/product/sc3100.html), my budget dictates a more affordable unit and the Toshiba R25 (http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/cmod.to?seg=HHO&coid=-31402) may be just right.

True, it is considerably larger and heavier than my current machine. However, my truly mobile usage is minimal. Primarily, I need a machine that can go anywhere and be used on location, but use while en route is infrequent and I can handle six pounds for that.

In exchange for the weight, it offers a 14" wide-angle screen, DVD superdrive and multi memory card slot. In tutoring, my tablet often serves as an infinite digital whiteboard and portal to endless information. I can definitely use the extra screen space and wider viewing angle for writing and displaying formulas and equations.

The DVD drive would be useful for data storage & retrieval, not to mention playing movies. However, particularly interested in its DVD-RAM capability. I imagine it could be used for quick and reliable incremental document backup.

I have several memory cards of different formats. A multi-format card reader would be useful and leave me open to new devices. Also, ReadyBoost (http://blogs.msdn.com/tomarcher/archive/2006/06/02/615199.aspx) in Vista (once I upgrade) should be compatible with different formats of flash memory. Yeah, it has a cramped notebook keyboard, but I can always keep it in slate mode. The standard Core Duo processor and 1GB of memory are nice too. The slice battery, which lifts the back to a good writing angle, in addition to boosting runtime, would make a great future add-on. Bottom line: this baby's on my shortlist.




Mood = curious

Got my eye on the R25


3 Comments:

  1. I hear the next generation of tablet PCs are actually going have the full weight of OEMs behind them which apparently should drive the price down past $1000. That'd be bloody awesome if that were the case, maybe you should hold out until this comes to fruition?
    Also, is there a downloadable version of 52 Scribbles, like there was with Build 52? I was also curious about a couple other things about blogging. Like, how much of your time is spent working on the blog or making actual posts? Do you derive any income from it or is it purely for your own enjoyment and indulgence?
    I dunno about you, but I'm waiting for that new Toshiba with the detachable screen that they showed off at CES last year to come out. Finally, an update to the ever popular tc1100.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/06/2006 10:03:00 AM
     

  2. That was Timbo by the way, but apparently the visual verification thing wasn't working properly o_O

    Timbo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/06/2006 10:07:00 AM
     

  3. "maybe you should hold out until this [next gen tablet] comes to fruition?"
    --The shortlist is a work in progress. The previous frontrunner was the TC1100 but its price point (for a configuration worth upgrading to) is too high. If a better choice comes along, I'll consider it, but I'm only considering existing products. If I wait for the hot new product around the corner, I'll be waiting forever.

    "Also, is there a downloadable version of 52 Scribbles, like there was with Build 52?"
    --Well, the only things that needed to be downloaded in Build 52 were the dial images and a clear gif image. The interfaces are all HTML and Javascript, so just save a copy of the page to your computer (and a clear gif called "clear.gif") and you'll have it.

    "I was also curious about a couple other things about blogging. Like, how much of your time is spent working on the blog or making actual posts? Do you derive any income from it or is it purely for your own enjoyment and indulgence?"
    --The blog is a pure hobby for now. I scribble posts during lunch or while unwinding at home, as well as in response to things I read. I enjoy it and would like to spend more time blogging, if only as mental exercise, but I have no plan for making it a serious source of revenue.

    "I dunno about you, but I'm waiting for that new Toshiba with the detachable screen that they showed off at CES last year to come out."
    --Sorry, but that thing is currently vaporware. It was on display the previous year too.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 9/06/2006 11:30:00 AM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive