Thursday, June 01, 2006


[+/-] show/hide text
When 7-up started promoting their new "all-natural" formula, I was pretty excited. For several months now, I've been making a concerted effort to limit my intake of high fructose corn syrup, the chief ingredient in most soft drinks next to water. I was disappointed then to learn that 7-up was trying to pawn off HFCS as a "natural" ingredient.

Yes, HFCS comes from corn, but that alone does not qualify if as natural, any more than Frankenstein's monster would be because it was made from humans. By name alone, it is clearly unnatural. Fructose is fruit sugar. Corn is not a fruit. Turning corn into fruit sugar is about as natural as turning chicken into beef.

Yes, I know normal sugar is refined. But when I bite into a piece of sugar cane, I can taste the sugar. I think "this would be good to sweeten my iced tea or lemonade." I never bit into a cob of corn and thought "I could go for a corn-flavored soft drink." Yet, that is what most Americans are drinking. By contrast, Mexican Coca-Cola is still made with actual sugar.

7-up redefines all-natural


0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home




    Archive