Tuesday, June 26, 2007



Apple and AT&T finally announced service plans for the iPhone (http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/rateplans.html), as well as the method of getting the plan. Nothing too surprising, at least to someone with my powers of prediction.

First, my prediction (http://sumocat.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-iphone-predictions.html) that many will be sold without phone service is officially dead, while also being ironically accurate. It turns out all iPhones will be sold without service; they just won't work without service. Yep, even to use it as an iPod, the iPhone must be activated and signed up to a phone and data plan with two-year commitment.

iPhone activation and sign-up is handled entirely by iTunes on your own computer. This is right in line with my thoughts (http://sumocat.blogspot.com/2007/06/prediction-1-picks-up-steam.html) on the iTunes Store account requirement, and it means buying an iPhone will be a grab-and-go experience, which should help make the product launch as smooth as I predict it will be (http://sumocat.blogspot.com/2007/06/iphone-reinvents-product-launch-sort-of.html).

Admittedly, my first prediction was a big stretch. I'm sure Apple didn't want the restriction of a two-year commitment, and I'd hoped AT&T would be content with five years of exclusivity, but that apparently fell through. However, Apple (or hackers) may yet lift the restrictions and allow the iPhone to work as an iPod and Internet device without phone service. Time will tell.

One thing that troubles we is AT&T runs a credit check at activation. So what if you don't pass? Sure, you can return it, but what about that time you wasted getting it? Hopefully, that will make the line-waiters think twice, but it strikes me as a hole in the system caused by AT&T's two-year service requirement.



CateGoogles: mobile_tech
Mood = curious

Labels:

iPhone Predictions: One Stands, One Falls


2 Comments:

  1. I wonder what happens if you stick an existing SIM card in an unregistered iPhone? Surely someone will try this.

    Mark

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/26/2007 02:58:00 PM
     

  2. Surely they will, but I seriously doubt it will work. I assume activation will digitally tie the card to the device. Might be hackable, but a straight swap shouldn't work.

    By Blogger Sumocat, at 6/26/2007 03:34:00 PM
     

Post a Comment

<< Home




Archive